Best of Beauty: Hourglass Aura Cheek & Lip Stains are easy to use and really last
Keeping makeup in place can be a challenge as weather warms up. Hourglass Cosmetics Aura Cheek and Lip Stains make it easy to maintain a healthy-looking glow that lasts all day even in the warmest weather. These water-based, liquid gel stains give skin a very natural-looking flush that really stays put on cheeks and lips.
Unique Formulas. The lightweight formulas are easier to use than traditional stains, because the formula is thicker than most stains, making them easier to blend and giving you a bit more time before they set. But the color still stays on well throughout the day. They feel very comfortable on and don’t dry skin the way stains usually do. In fact, the lip stain even helps plump up lips with anti-aging ingredients that fill in lines and wrinkles, says Hourglass Artistic Director Gina Brooke.
Natural Look. They look bright straight out of the applicator. But they give a soft wash of color that looks very natural. “The Aura collection is the ideal prescription for those in search of a lighter, more natural look,” says Carisa Janes, Founder and CEO of Hourglass Cosmetics. “They offer a totally unique finish between a tint and a stain.”
Each comes in a dispenser that twists to release the product. The cheek stain has a sponge applicator; and the lip stain has a flock-tip applicator. Both help you get even application.
Ingredients. The formulas are water-based and free of fragrance and phthalates. The cheek stain is enriched with vitamin E to help keep skin hydrated without oils. The lip stain is made with antioxidants like vitamin E and green tea extract, and an algae-based extract that is supposed to help with elastin and collagen in the lips.
Colors. Aura Lip Stain ($26) is available in three shades: Scarlet (sheer plum), Flush (sheer red) and Petal (sheer pink/coral shimmer). I personally adore Petal. It’s such a unique color and finish for a stain – it’s a real rarity to find one with shimmer.
Aura Cheek Stain ($45) is available in three shades: Rouge (sheer rose), Flush (sheer red) and Petal (sheer pink/coral shimmer). I tried Flush. It gives a cheeks a great rosy glow that looks like you’ve had a bit of sun (but not too much sun).
Application Tips. Hourglass Artistic Director Gina Brooke offers these tips for application:
Aura Cheek Stain
- Blot the sponge applicator directly on to the apples of the cheeks and blend up towards your temples using your fingers. It’s long-wearing but it moves when you’re applying so it’s less intimidating—it sets afterwards.
- You can wear Aura Sheer Cheek Stain over Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer or solo.
- During the summer, makeup minimalists can just get by on the cheek stain, lip stain and a few coats of mascara. It gives you a subtle, refreshed look and a pop of color that really lasts, so you won’t need to reapply throughout the day.
Aura Lip Stain
- Start by exfoliating the lips to slough off any dead skin cells and create a smooth base.
- Blot applicator onto the lips and blend using your finger—it’s that simple.
- For extra precision, or to create the illusion of a fuller pout, line the lips before application.
- You can build your coverage for a more dramatic statement. Finishing with a gloss softens the look.
Hourglass Tour. Want more expert tips on how to wear Hourglass Cosmetics and get an Hourglass makeover? Check out the upcoming Hourglass U.S. tour coming to Sephora stores.
Availability. Aura Cheek and Lip Stains are available now at Sephora, Barneys and hourglasscosmetics.com.
Do Tell. Does your lip and cheek color tend to fade as the day wears on? Do tell.
|Disclosure: Product samples were provided for review.|
Tags:hourglass aura sheer lip stain review petal